Magic of Storytelling Book Drop Off

Magic of Storytelling Partnership

A recent national study showed that almost two-thirds of fourth graders read at or below a basic level. It’s an alarming statistic, and those unable to improve their literacy in the coming years face a future of immense struggle.

Twyford Law Office is proud of its role in positively impacting that future for children around Inland Washington through its sponsorship of the Magic of Storytelling. A partnership between Disney|ABC and First Book, the Magic of Storytelling aims to put 1 million books into the hands of students nationwide.

Book Donation Day

Locally, we joined with KXLY-TV and other corporate champions to donate 15,000 books to 27 schools around Spokane in early May. Educators in these schools can choose which students receive books to help them build out their home libraries, allowing students most in need of support to continue reading during the summer. This opportunity can help mitigate the “summer reading loss” than can set them even further behind their grade level.

It was a joy to see the children react to the delivery of these books, and we know the opportunity to read something fresh and new will only whet their appetite for more. Participating in the Magic of Storytelling is just one more way Twyford Law Office strives to make the Greater Spokane Valley a richer place to live, work, play and learn. We look forward to another book delivery visit to Shiloh Hills Elementary School on June 2.

If you would like to become more involved in the community, we encourage you to connect with the Greater Spokane Valley Chamber of Commerce. Twyford Law Office is a chamber member.

Can I Move from Spokane and Take My Kids with Me?

Parents living in Spokane often ask their family law attorneys whether they can move their children to another city or state. The answer will depend upon the unique circumstances of your situation. The most important rule to bear in mind is that you should never relocate the children without obtaining legal advice about the procedures you will need to follow.

Parents often have legitimate reasons to move. You might have an attractive job offer in another state, or your employer may want to transfer you to a different location. Some divorced parents enter into new relationships and want to follow their new partners. Some parents have legitimate concerns about the safety of their children and may want to protect them by moving them away from an abusive parent.

As reasonable as those motivations for moving may be, Washington family law always looks out for the best interests of the children. You might think it is in your child’s best interests to move with you to a different place, but the other parent may disagree. In that event, you face significant penalties if you relocate the children without obtaining the court’s permission or the other parent’s consent.

Why you need legal advice

You can move wherever you want. That does not necessarily mean you can move your children wherever you want.

If you remove a child from the United States for the purpose of obstructing another parent’s right to spend time with the child, you could be prosecuted for international parental kidnapping. Even if interfering with another parent’s custodial rights was not your intent, a federal prosecutor or court might not believe you.

Even moving your child to another state or to another city in Washington can cause problems if the move will affect the rights of the other parent. If your children are living with you pursuant to a court order (such as a parenting plan), you probably need to comply with Washington’s Relocation Act before you move the children.

The Relocation Act requires you to notify the other parent before you change the residence of your children. Since strict procedural requirements govern the content and delivery of the notice, you should get legal advice to make sure that notice is given as the law requires.

The other parent can object if the children will be moved outside of their current school district. Unless the parents can resolve that dispute through negotiation, the court will need to decide whether to approve or disallow the relocation. Representation by an attorney maximizes your opportunity to convince the court of your need to move the children.

What if the other parent wants to move your children?

If your children do not live with you and you receive notice that the other parent intends to relocate the children, you will lose your right to object to the move unless you make an appropriate and timely objection. A Spokane family law attorney can help you do that.

Your attorney can also help you negotiate with the other parent and, if necessary, can represent you in court. Whether the judge will ultimately allow or disallow the move depends on what the judge believes to be in the child’s best interests. Your opportunity to convince the judge that it is in your child’s best interests to maintain close contact with you will be greater if you are represented by a respected family law attorney.



The materials available on this website are for informational purposes only and are not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. This article does not create any attorney-client relationship.

How Much Time Do Children Spend with Each of their Divorced Parents?

Parents making child custody decisions during a divorce in Spokane and other Washington communities may be interested in the most recent report of the Washington State Center for Court Research (WSCCR) concerning the way Parenting Plans allocate time between parents. A Parenting Plan is a court order that determines which parent a child will live with, how much time the child will spend with the other parent, whether one or both parents will make significant decisions about the child’s life, and how disputes about those decisions will be resolved.

Parenting Plans and Residential Schedules

With the help of their Washington family law attorneys, most parents who need a Parenting Plan come to an agreement about its terms. The court will typically approve any reasonable Parenting Plan that the parents propose. When parents cannot reach an agreement, the court will make an order that it deems to be in the child’s best interests. It makes that decision after considering evidence presented by the lawyers for each parent (and, in some cases, by a court-appointed lawyer for the child).

The standard parenting plan form includes a “residential schedule” that specifies where the children will live on each day of the year, including birthdays, holidays, and vacations. A Washington law requires “parties to dissolution matters” to file a “residential time summary report” with the clerk of court. “Dissolution matters” are court proceedings to end a marriage or a domestic partnership. The residential time summary report summarizes the contents of the residential schedule, including the amount of time the child will spend with each parent.

WSCCR Findings

The WSCCR’s most recent analysis of residential time summary reports included the following findings:

  • About one-half of one percent of the residential time summary reports were filed by same sex couples.
  • The average report covered 1.5 children (a statistic that might be skewed by the fact that parents must file separate reports for children who are on different residential schedules).
  • In nearly two-thirds of the reports, children were scheduled to spend more time with the mother than the father.
  • In approximately 19% of the reports, children were scheduled to spend equal time with the mother and the father.
  • As you would expect, parents with risk factors that might affect their parenting ability were typically scheduled to have less time with their children than the other parent. Chemical dependency was the most common risk factor, followed by domestic violence.
  • When one parent had an attorney and the other did not, the parent with an attorney received more time with the children than the unrepresented parent.

Perhaps the most telling statistic is the last one. When a dispute exists about how much time a child should spend with each parent, representation by a Washington family law attorney makes a difference.


The materials available on this website are for informational purposes only and are not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. This article does not create any attorney-client relationship.